20 May 2014

Unrepentant Geraldines - Tori Amos

Unrepentant Geraldines - Tori Amos
Next song from my (once) brand new playlist! It's Tori's turn, so let's talk about Unrepentant Geraldines for a bit. I AM HAPPY! I am so glad that it finally looks like Tori got totally back to her sense and gave us a more than decent album! Don't mistake me, I found lovable stuff in most of her latest albums too, but things didn't feel completely right. Now, it's too early to say but this album sounds very very good as of now (with respect to its immediate predecessors). Tori got a good voice again, no more barbie-like high-pitched tones, it's all very pleasing to hear. Ok, some songs are not unforgettable, but maybe they will grow into me anyway. Some others are pretty, pretty nice! Amongst them I must quote the title-track, which has stuck in my head in the last couple of days. It is a very non-classic song in terms of format, but it is not so very unusual for Tori: the first half of the song, more catchy and up-beat gets you up and then she stops and start the second half with just her and the piano, singing what could be a different song (but it isn't, as the melody and lyrical elements link the two pieces together). And I love it when I get to start singing the song in my car, screaming "Unrepentant Geraldines" as if I were at a rock concert. I mean, what other artist allows you to do that? To have super deep and inspired lyrics with an intellectual tone, put together with very pleasing pop/rock music? Very few, methinks. And this is the real Tori in my opinion, the one that is able to sing about the big problems of life or important issues of society or again artsy/intellectual stuff in a way that talks out the very essence of the problem/issue and lets you analyse it and think about it with her songs, with very pleasant pop/rock music (I know, I'm repeating myself), with the "girl and a piano" thing that (almost) only she has. Unrepentant Geraldines (song) really embodies that Tori and this is almost always a sufficient condition for a great song to come out. This one is no exception. Welcome back Tori!


No comments:

Post a Comment