31 Jan 2014

Yes, Anastasia - Tori Amos

Recently one of the best albums by one of my favourite singer/songwriters (i.e. Under the pink by Tori Amos) has turned 20 years old, so I thought I'd be nice to celebrate its birthday with a post up here! This is one of the less radio-friendly songs of Tori, but one of the most beautiful in my opinion: its more than 9 minutes of length blend up perfectly some classical music-like melody with clever lyrics, creating an outstanding atmosphere that brings you back in the Russia of the first 20th century. The song is about Anastasia Romanov, the last sovereign of Imperial Russia and here is a quote from Tori about it:

"And that night came, as she softly sings the line “‘We’ll see how brave you are,’ and that was really about the whole record. That came just about before everything. And whenever I sing that chorus, ‘we’ll see how brave you are,’ it means so many different things to me. It’s part of my self, my spirit self saying to the rest of myself, ‘if you really want a challenge, just deal with yourself. The funny thing is that Anna Anderson, who claimed to be Anastasia, died very close to where I was playing, an hour or so from there in the 80s. The feeling I got that Anna Anderson was Anastasia Romanov."

No comments:

Post a Comment